So, you are an expectant mother and it’s time to start thinking about packing for your stay at the hospital. You know that you need to get a bag ready, but what is it that you need to pack? Take a few minutes and look over this list in order to prepare for the big day.
- Comfortable slippers (and warm socks)– you will probably be walking around a lot
- Comfortable pyjamas – choose a darkly coloured button up for easy breast feeding
- Camera or video recorder – you don’t want to have to rely on your cell phone (and remember to pack a charger or extra batteries, just in case)
- Snacks – you may get peckish after using so much energy and you might need to snack in between hospital meals
- Toiletries – toothbrush and toothpaste, hairbrush, deodorant, face wash, soap, cream, and a towel. Decant the liquid items into smaller bottles so that they don’t take up too much space.
- Lip balm – your heavy breathing might dry out your lips and make you uncomfortable
- Pillow from home – you will feel more comfortable this way, and it will make breastfeeding more comfortable too
- Breast feeding bra and nipple cream – if you are breast feeding
- Loose fitting clothing, breastfeeding tops
- Breast pump – if necessary
- Hand sanitizer and baby wipes
- Medical aid card and main members ID book
- Cellphone and charger
- Also remember to take off all of your jewellery – this is not allowed in the delivery room, and it is going to make you uncomfortable
- Receivers – pack about three or four
- Baby grow – take about six of these
- Baby hat – try to get a few different sizes (you don’t always know what will fit your baby)
- Baby blanket
- Baby mitts
- Extra nappies and bum cream – this is generally provided by the hospital but you may need extra
You will also need to think about what needs to be packed, or what needs to be done for when baby is born and you need to bring your bundle of joy home. Such as, it is a smart idea to learn how your baby car seat works before the day arrives when you need to bring baby home, so that your journey can go a lot quicker and smoother.
Are you expecting? Tell us some fun things you wish you could take into the hospital (like a bottle of champagne).