In a recent issue of the bidorbuy Crazy Wednesday Newsletter (subscribe here), we talked about one worrying trend noticed in the realm of ratings. All of a sudden, some buyers (presumably, newbies) started rating their sellers before they received the item purchased.
This is definitely not to be done. You as a buyer should be aware that others will make their purchasing decision based on your rating. Your seller’s pleas or his or her charm should play no part in your rating decision. Rate fairly, honestly and responsibly, after you receive the merchandise in good order.
Here are some more dos and don’ts of rating. Whether you are a buyer or a seller, adhere to them and you will contribute to the smooth functioning of the bidorbuy online trading platform.
The dos of rating:
- Do post your rating only after the transaction has been completed. For sellers, a transaction is completed when the payment is received in full; for buyers, a transaction is completed when the goods are received in good order.
- Do base your rating only on the transaction in question and on the other party’s attitude during that particular transaction.
- Do make an extra effort when rating and type a sentence or two as a feedback describing your experience.
- Do remember to change your original negative feedback if circumstances change. Typically, sellers would change a negative rating when a forgetful buyer remembers to pay after all; buyers would change a negative rating when the parcel eventually arrives.
The don’ts of rating:
- Do not give revenge or unsubstantiated negative ratings.
- Do not leave a negative rating in a moment of anger or before trying to resolve a dispute.
- Do not trade ratings, solicit ratings, threaten the other party with a negative rating, or otherwise abuse the system.